In my over 15 years as a New York State Real Estate Licensed Salesperson, I’ve seen many real estate attorneys, and how some hurt the process/deal (get in the way), while others are extremely valuable to the effective process! I always recommend hiring a real estate lawyer so he would be familiar with as many of the potential complexities as possible during the negotiation process! In an ideal world, the person you choose will protect your interests while still contributing to the solution, rather than getting in the way of the bargain by refusing to accept solutions and alternatives to achieve the goal. With that in mind, this article will attempt to consider, investigate, evaluate, and address 5 items you can expect from the person you employ to represent your interests (whether purchasing or selling) because, for most of us, the value of our home is our single – largest financial asset.
1. Effective listening: If you’re looking for the right person, it’s a good idea to get a few tips from people who have worked with them before! Briefly interview a few lawyers to see if they are willing to really listen to you in order to better understand your real, personal needs, and so on.
2. Hand-holding: During the transaction process, there are always many pressures and challenges! Look for a lawyer who will not only be professionally knowledgeable, but will also hold your hand during the transaction. Wouldn’t it be better if you could make this time as stress-free as possible?
3. Safeguard you without impeding your progress: While it is an attorney’s duty and obligation to protect you and your interests in an ethical and honest manner, the person you choose should not present you with problems that are neither helpful nor necessary! Discuss in detail what you seek and desire, how much flexibility you are willing to accept, and how you plan to accomplish these goals without blowing a deal!
4. Detailed explanation: There should be no question or concern you have that your solicitor would not try to address and justify fully to your satisfaction (not just his)! It should be his responsibility to make sure that this phase runs as smoothly as possible!
5. Excellence/professionalism: Don’t settle for good enough! Demand the highest level of quality, professionalism, and real excellence (because you deserve it and need it)!
When choosing a real estate attorney, choose someone who can better represent your interests! You will save time, effort, and needless obstacles if you do so often!